Blog

Chocolate and your Pets

From Easter, most of us will have to much chocolate to eat, and just as much as we enjoy it, our four legged friend love the smell also, and will most likely try some, some times try a lot, but this is not good! Chocolate for human consumption is not safe for our pets! Make sure you keep it up out of reach of those inquisitive noses and mouths….


Why is Chocolate Toxic to my pet?

Theobromine is a compound in Cocoa, and cocoa is a main ingredient in Chocolate. Theobromine is toxic to dogs and other pets in certain doses, depending on how much they eat and their weight. Although Chocolate poisoning is well known for dogs, did you know that your cat, mice, birds and other pets can also get sick from it?
Different chocolate has different levels of Theobromine. Cocoa powder, baking chocolate, and dark chocolate contain higher levels when compared to milk chocolate. The toxicity of Theobromine depends on how much they eat, the type of chocolate, and the size of your pet.

Symptoms of Theobromine Poisoning include:

Restlessness, Excitement, Hyperactivity, Nervousness, Trembling, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Increased Drinking, Increased Urinating, Increased Heart Rate, Muscle Tremors, Seizures, and Possible Death.

If your pet has eaten some chocolate, even if it’s only a small amount, you should contact us as soon as possible for advice.

Sugarland Animal Hospital

41513550

info@sugarlandvet.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Blog Posts

CHRISTMAS PET HEALTH HAZARD

The holiday season brings with it a number of health hazards for our furry family members, so it’s important to…

View Post

Dental homecare tips for pets!

Dental Disease is present in more than 80% of pets over 3 years of age, so what can we do…

View Post

Cat Flu 101

Cat flu is a general term for a highly contagious upper respiratory disease that affects cats and kittens. This disease…

View Post