Apr 04 2017

Chocolate and your Pets

From Easter, most of us will have to much chocolate to eat, and just as much as we enjoy it, our four legged friend love the smell also, and will most likely try some, some times try a lot, but this is not good! Chocolate for human consumption is not safe for our pets! Make sure you keep it up out of reach of those inquisitive noses and mouths….

Hills Pet Nutrition Chocolate is toxic
Why is Chocolate Toxic to my pet?

Theobromine is a compound in Cocoa, and cocoa is a main ingredient in Chocolate. Theobromine is toxic to dogs and other pets in certain doses, depending on how much they eat and their weight. Although Chocolate poisoning is well known for dogs, did you know that your cat, mice, birds and other pets can also get sick from it?
Different chocolate has different levels of Theobromine. Cocoa powder, baking chocolate, and dark chocolate contain higher levels when compared to milk chocolate. The toxicity of Theobromine depends on how much they eat, the type of chocolate, and the size of your pet.


Symptoms of Theobromine Poisoning include:

Restlessness, Excitement, Hyperactivity, Nervousness, Trembling,
Vomiting, Diarrhea, Increased Drinking, Increased Urinating,
Increased Heart Rate, Muscle Tremors, Seizures, and Possible Death.


If your pet has eaten some chocolate, even if it’s only a small amount, you should contact us as soon as possible for advice.

Sugarland Animal Hospital


[email protected]

sugarland | Uncategorized


10 Heidke Street
Bundaberg, Queensland, 4670

Need Finance?

Location Hours
Monday8:00am – 6:00pm
Tuesday8:00am – 6:00pm
Wednesday8:00am – 6:00pm
Thursday8:00am – 6:00pm
Friday8:00am – 6:00pm
Saturday8:00am – 12:00pm